Sunday, January 29, 2012

He's Heavy & He Ain't My Brother

I attended a small, rural high school. There were 24 kids in my graduating class. Traditionally we elected a senior as ASB president, but in our class there weren't a lot of people interested in the job. The one guy who ran had a campaign manager who decided Randy's slogan would be... "He ain't much, but he's all we got."

It was kinda funny - then.

I keep telling my kids that the world is their oyster. And that now, in their youth, is the time to educate themselves, explore and expand their horizons. As time marches on people make decisions that can refine or limit their options. Education or lack thereof, marriage, children, career choices, buying a home/real estate can all limit our mobility and affect our ability to take advantage of new opportunities. Not that growing up & becoming responsible is a bad thing but the weight of our life can either lend us stability or drag us down.

Still, we do have options. Exercising them can have consequences. We, of course, want to look at all angles. But no matter what your age, 18 or 58, it still seems a sad commentary when your choice ends up being...."He ain't much, but he's all we/I got."

I'm left hoping, with all my heart, that will be enough.

No comments: