Friday, March 2, 2012

Senior Citizen Discounts

When you are in your late 40's, AARP starts a letter campaign offering you membership and regular mailings/magazines.  Most of us aren't feeling it and file the paper trail in the garbage.

With the official retirement age at 65 and threatening to go higher "we" have a hard time dealing with/thinking about aging issues.

Boomers look in the mirror, apply our potions & lotions and blithely go on our way.

Sometimes we get a little reality check.

Like today.

I went into a store and at the check out counter a perky, young clerk informed me that there was a 10% senior citizens discount.

I hemmed & hawed, until she continued by telling me their discount started at age 55.

Damn.

I just turned 55. And allowing myself a private delusion, I was sure I didn't look it.

The $1.34 I saved was not adequate compensation for my deflated ego.

I trudged back to my van w/my bags and as I settled in the cell phone rang. It was Farm Boy. We chatted and I related the incident to him.

I was kinda laughing.

He immediately and cheerfully states, "For what it's worth, I've never been offered a discount."

????

Ha, Ha. It is to laugh. Funny guy.

You know there's an old Arabic curse that goes something like....

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your (ahem - edit) armpits.

I know, cranky.

No comments: