Wednesday, April 22, 2009

There is Sunshine In My Soul Today

Wow...just got off the phone. Woof.

Long story short - friend asked me to help her with a project at church. My job was to phone people. Most folks I contacted mentioned that it hadn't necessarily been on their "to do" list but they were willing to spend a half an hour and give it a whirl.

Not so Sister X. Called her and asked her if she'd be interested in getting involved. Basic yes or no kind of thing. Apparently she felt obligated and didn't want to say no but certainly didn't want to commit to the project so she started on a litany of excuses of why not... that went on and on and... Woof! Shoot me now. Twenty minutes later...

Now I've been known to complain occasionally. There have been days when I've been (fill in the blank) depressed, sad, irritated etc. Haven't we all? My buddy, Wendy, gives me a certain amount of time to vent and when she's done listening to me whine she just changes the subject. It's one of those,  "Oh, okay, got ya, I'm thru here, eh???"  Gotta love the woman.

But Sister X... Known her for 25 years and life just 'happens' to her and she "can't" seem to do anything about it. There is a lot to be said for figuring out what you have no control over, what you do have control over and learning to know the difference. Unfortunately X. has been a victim of circumstances for as long as I've known her.

It isn't my intent just to pick on her, although, really I do know better than to call her...but there is a lesson to be learned here. Stuff happens. Sometimes it takes a while to get our ducks in a row but ultimately we get to decide who we want to be and how we want to go about doing things... having a decent attitude, striving for learning to be a life long process, making a difference where you stand etc. You know it's valid to say you don't want to do something, but can't? Climbing the empire state building... I'll give you that one. Sorry, not spider man, really can't. But for a lot of the rest of the stuff, hey I may be too lazy but technically it's within reach. I just need to find a way to make it happen, organize, plan etc. But first let's get that attitude adjusted!!!

So today - while I won't be saving the world, just picking up my little corner (and that's a whole 'nother rant about if we'd all just take care of our own space what a wonderful world it would be...) there is going to be sunshine in my soul!

As long as I stay off of the phone...
-

No comments: