Thursday, December 10, 2009

They Are Watching You

'Nother little reality check. Got a text message last nite. Didn't recognize the number. It was one of those really long, mushy (aka annoying) pass along things. The kids have unlimited text messaging but I DON'T! Seriously, we pay a premium for cell phones and not all of us consider them toys.

Had to call back. And depending on who sent it was I was prepared to laugh and say...well thanks for thinking of me, or if it was someone with some common sense - kick their butt for passing junk "mail" along.  Sure glad I had decided to be flexible before I started because, of course, it was a really off the wall kind of thing. Gal I used to work with enthusiastically informed me she'd got religon and life was wonderful! Someone had sent the text to her, she thought it was really cool, but the only one she could think of to send it to who would appreciate it was me....

Ohhh okay.

You know, It's great she thinks that I'm a strong, wonderful woman, and that I'm a good example to her, and that God loves me....And I'm happy that she's happy. Truly.  Life hasn't always been easy for her. It was nice to talk to her again. But mostly I'm grateful I carefully considered my options on how I would respond before I called.

Obviously, I'm not always the most "politically correct" person on the planet. Unfortunately some eyebrows raise when my name is mentioned.

Fortunately there are also those to whom I have been able to present myself in a positive fashion. You know - the way that you'd like to be remembered for being at your funeral....

So note to self: When you think what you say or do, or the impression that you leave, doesn't matter... remember they are out there, and they are watching you.

As Maya Angelou said:

     People will forget what you said,
     People will forget what you did.
     But people will never forget how you made them feel.

And if you haven't got it right - there is no time like now to try and fix it...
-

No comments: