Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Drink Milk

The Youngest went on his first ever goose hunt last Saturday. Brought home a goose. Totally jacked. Anyway, Sunday it was marinating in the frig. Monday it went into the smoker for jerky...

Overall not bad but - still had that "goosey. gamey. aftertaste." Left me kind of wanting to ask, "where's the beef?" (I so don't have a problem w/eating domesticated farm animals). Then the kid tells the story of a man we know who, several years back, went hunting and shot a gander. Another goose circled in distress, finally landing and refused to leave the body... of her dead mate.  So he shot her too, buried them together and never hunted again. Mind you this sad story was being told as I'm chewing on the jerky.

Uggh.

Boy, that will put you off your feed. You know, few things on earth would be safe from me if my children were starving. But they're not and I'm not...

I think it was Will Roger's who said: "It's not necessary to know what you're eating exactly, but it can be imperative to know what it was".

Please make the jerky go away.
-

No comments: