Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Tale of Two Cities oophs Kitties

The "kitten" boys are going to be six months old at the end of Feb. And you know, I feel kind of bad. I've always wanted a blue eyed cat. We've had a couple of litters that included white or siamese mix kittens but they've always been the first to be given away and as most all kittens and their momma's have been strays that came to stay, we've been grateful to those folks who will give them good homes and I haven't kicked (too much) about never getting to keep one of the "purty" ones.

So imagine my surprise when One Ear had seven kittens under our porch last August and five of them were blue eyed siamese mixes. "Two can stay," I said and I had them picked out. Tippers and Toppers. Virtual identical twins. The Youngest had other plans. The black tiger striped one was his buddy.

Sigh.

Okay, one purty blue eyed kitten, and the least favored child, Blackie. Turns out Blackie and Tippers, aka Chub-chub, are ying and yang. Almost exact negatives of each other. Stripes down their back, swirls on their sides and tiger stripes on their legs, just one light and the other dark. Their personalities are polar opposites also. Chub-chub is laid back, quiet and a champion napper. Blackie is intense, pushy and a total nudge.

I decide to go into the bedroom this morning, stretch out and read. I have the book in one hand, a fiber bar (quit snickering, your time is coming) in the other hand. Blackie is in the middle of my bed (again). With the back of the hand that is holding the fiber bar I try to nudge him aside. He comes wide awake and like a bunge cord springs back into position no matter where I push him. This is pointless. I lose the fiber bar. Nope. This is a two hand job. Put the book down (losing my place) and pick the little begger up, toss him out of my spot and flop down.

Geez. That was a lot of work to move one little 5 pound cat....and look who's back. Get. Get out of my face! Quit being so pushy. You may not rub yourself all over me!!!!! He will not go away. Such a need to be with a human, but not just any human. Me. You know, I already have a high maintenance cat. Monster really should be an only child and yet we have three cats in the house. I guess he didn't get the memo. Blackie/The Youngest, Chub-chub/me. And yet, such devotion...

(Have I mentioned I'm allergic to cats. Not the break out in hives if they're anywhere in the vicinity type of allergy but if I pet them and then rub my eyes without washing my hands, or if they're in my face - my eyes water. They itch. They swell. I start to sneeze....)

In no time flat, my eyes start to water. I start to sneeze. I really start to sneeze and before I know it here comes this great, big....

!!!!

Woof.

I sneeze. I belch. Fiber from the fiber bar sprays all over the comforter and... I fart. All at the same time. If it had been an earthquake zone everyone would have run for cover.

Mercy. If that had happened in public I would have died. Plumb dug a hole and climbed right in. In the privacy of my room, however, it was just rather astounding. I didn't know you could combine all body functions at once like that. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or strangle the dang cat.

And then, as I endeavored to brush the remains of the fiber bar from the bed and pick up my book...

One little cat creeps up and curls against my back just as close and as tight as one little black cat possibly could.

Not a blue eye in sight anywhere.
-

No comments: