Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Big "D"

I was reading a mystery, by Rick Riordan. One of those books I classify as 'mind candy.' I wasn't expecting anything "deep" from this author but I found this exchange between two of the characters interesting.

"Are you in love with somebody?"


The question struck me mute.


Ines raised her eyebrows - "Are you?" she insisted.


"I - no." And then added inanely, "I don't think so."


That brought a dry smile. "Safe answer. Love's not always the blazing epiphany some people imagine, is it? I didn't realize I was falling in love with Aaron until we'd been seeing each other for two months. When I started to fall out of love with him, the process was just as insidious."

In the last year I've watched several marriages dissolve. People who I'd never dreamed would split along with people who seemed destined to part from the moment they met. There are no hard and fast rules. The only guarantee of a successful marriage seems to be when both parties are determined to make it work.

I wish I were smart enough/expert enough or...something to help. But I got nothin'. I have enough trouble keeping my own boat afloat. I do know that the dreams of a seventeen year old and reality seldom mesh. That infatuation and the blazing epiphany we hope for belong more readily in fairy tales for most of us. And the saddest comment is the final line above...that when I started to fall out of love, the process was just as insidious. I've watched my friends and it broke my heart when I heard one say...

"There's a new sheriff in town...things are going to be different from now on."

There was. 

They were.

And there just didn't seem to be any way to avoid that particular train wreck.

-

No comments: