Monday, October 18, 2010

How Do Ya Get Out Of This Chicken Outfit?

Worked in the yard this weekend. Got the loppers and saw out and ended up doing a version of I Fought The Law Shrub & The Shrub Won. Finally, scratched and bleeding, we ended up with enuf limbs and branches to make a run to the dump.

On our way we saw a cyclist. The gal, with her helmet, tiny little exercise top and spandex bicycle shorts, was at least 10 lbs. underweight and had some impressive toning going on as muscles rippled in her legs and arms.

"Who's that?" I asked The Youngest. We went by too fast for me to catch a glimpse of her face and I inquired if she might be one of his young friends.

"No," he snorted, " She's an old lady, she has chalkboard arms."

Huh?

"You know, the flab underneath her arms?"

...


What? Again with the arms?

I didn't catch "the flab underneath her arms." I, frankly, was too impressed with what I could see of the rest of her body.

You know us older types just can't catch a break from these punks. This woman obviously worked out diligently and it showed but the 15 year old boy immediately tagged her for not being perfect.

Later in the day I noted a heading, on the MSN home page, titled Essential Fall Fashion Picks for Women in Their 50's.

I'm not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't "perfect" 30 year old models, in tank tops/sleeveless blouses and above the knee pencil skirts.

The vast majority of my friends couldn't wear stuff like that and of the one's who could, most, wouldn't.

You know, I am of the generation who have finally seen women, their intellect and the contributions we can make to society become somewhat appreciated, or at least acknowledged. Still there are always reality checks. I caught the commentary on a TV show about an older man who was dating an attractive, much younger woman that went..."Well it works, she gets security, he gets - her."

Sigh.

I sometimes despair. Regardless of what we have to offer, as people/human beings, too often it seems a woman's ultimate worth is judged by flabby arms and whether we can still look good in a tight skirt.

Doesn't quite level the playing field, does it?
-

No comments: