Saturday, January 1, 2011

To Be or Not To Be

My mother is a huge fan of Dooney Bourke. They make shoes, purses, luggage. Don't really know that much about them but if it's Dooney Bourke, Ma goes gaga over it.

I love shopping at Nordstrom's basement. 50 - 70% off? Count me in!! I'm also a huge fan of thrift shops. That old saying about one person's trash being another's treasure? So true! I'm not into junk but many items at Goodwill or DI can be cleaned, repaired, refinished etc. and be as good as new.

So when I found a little, leather, Dooney Bourke purse at our local Goodwill for $7.99 I snatched it up, and when it was cleaned & polished it looked brand new. I gave it to Ma and she was thrilled!!!!! She knew approximately how much it would retail for but before she could get all excited I told her where I found it, and that, while I got it for a really good price, when I saw it, I thought of her and hoped that she could use it and would like it...

She looked a bit taken a back for a moment and inspected it again. Then apparently decided it met muster. Now, every time we take her out she "rushes" to get her little purse. Same thing with the Dooney Bourke shoes I found for her on eBay...

So, like I said, I love thrift shops. Don't have a problem when someone shares something with me that is not "new" (I like to think of it as vintage) or maybe even is a regifted item...as long as it appears that they CARE.

Therein lies a problem.

How do you say you care? Does it involve copious amounts of money? Fancy wrapping? Or is it filling a specific need? Knowing that she likes milk chocolate not dark chocolate? Taking a little extra time out of your schedule to help?...

We all do it in different ways.

The other day I was about something. It was going to make me a little late and when I called Farm Boy to let him know I wouldn't be home on time, it offended his sense of justice. He got in a bit of a snit and remarked..."They wouldn't do the same for you!" I had to point out that he, undoubtedly, was right. But I was trying to be nice.

Oh I know there are days when I look like I'm vying for membership in "The Bitchin' Wives Club." But I match those with days where it looks like I'm actually trying to get a leg up on that Charity thing.

You may not notice, but I do have my moments ... Someday I may accidentally turn into a good person.

I'll let 'cha know how I'm doing - later.

(Insert a smirk here) 

Meanwhile, that last regifted item I received?  The one that spoke volumes about how much she valued my friendship? The (unwrapped) token of her esteem that was thrown in my lap?

Ah, well. Let's just say I found a realllly special place for it.

K?

No comments: