Thursday, January 6, 2011

Turkeys!

I'm trying to work on my genealogy. I've opened the computer room at Church, gotten Ancestry.com up. Carrie drops in and sets up an appointment for her Laurels to use the computers. There is a little time to kill before mutual starts so she sits a spell.

She leaves and Betty has some questions. So we chat and talk about some solutions.

We're at the tail end of our conversation and I am just starting to reach across the keyboard to load a census when Turk shows up.

He needs to get into the clerk's office. No, I don't have a key. Well, the Bishop said he'd be here in 15-20 minutes, meanwhile he needs to be entertained.

Okay...

"Can you get Elder Davis' blog up on that computer?" He asks.

Sure. So we read Elder Davis' latest entries. Then we chat about Turk's family.

Lovely, lovely man, but I'm not getting a lot done.

Going on 30 minutes.

He launches into an internet joke he received. Starts with, "There's this Catholic Priest"...I roll my eyes. He grins and and continues by telling me that the guy was transferred to a new parish in Washington D.C. and when he opening his bedroom curtains the first day he was there, he looked out and saw a dead jackass on the lawn.

???

What was he to do? So he started calling around but no one was at all helpful on solutions to remove the donkey. He was starting to get a bit irate and decided to 'go to the top". He gets back on the phone and calls Nancy Pelosi. Tells her the situation. She is VERY busy and just explodes. "I'm an important person, I have tons of work to do. Why are you calling and bothering me about this jackass? You're a priest. Take care of it. What do you usually do when there is a death?"

"Well," he replies. "I do just what I'm doing now. I immediately notify the nearest living relative."

Okay, still laughing.

Turk. Bless his soul.

He decides to go look for the Bishop.

It's getting a little late but there's time to lookkkk...

"Hey!" "Whatcha guys doing?"

"Umm, genealogy?"

Pat sits herself down to chat. The talk centers generally around genealogy & extracting but it appears that's she fairly comfortable that the bulk of her work has been done. Still she asks random questions. I answer & we have a nice little conversation.  My other compatriot looks up from her computer occasionally but she's hot on the hunt and goes back to work.

8:30 pm. It's time to leave. I've been here two hours, but genealogy?

Well...not so much.

Pat looks around as we prepare to shut down. She says her daughter should be getting back to the church anytime now, right? We close the door and all amble off together as she goes to look for the kid.

You know some things HAVE to be done. But many things in life have a certain amount of flex to them and I just hope when there is a choice to be made that Turk and my other friends know that they're important. And I hope that I remember to make them feel that way.
-

No comments: