Saturday, March 5, 2011

Enuf With The Dogs Already!

We live in a semi-rural area, BUT there is a county leash law...like if you own a dog it should be on your property and stay there. Whatever it takes. Obedience training, electronic monitoring, fencing or alas - a chain.
You know where this is going, yes?

Last nite, as I came home and started to drive into the garage I saw a tell tell streak of water slurred all the way across the driveway.

Someones dog, (you know, the dog that WE do not own. The dog that is supposed to be in its own yard?) has been in our pond. Killing the fish & trampling the landscaping.

Again.

Sigh.

Then when I tried to let the cat out later he started out the door & did a wild 180 as he rushed back into the house just slightly ahead of another neighbors mutt.

So today while I'm working I pull up to a mailbox. An older woman is walking her chocolate lab. (We are not in front of her house.) As I pull to the mail box, she looks confused. The ground is nicely leveled both in front of and behind the mailbox. There is even layer of gravel all around it and ample room to pass behind said box.

Does she think I wish to speak w/her?

Ummm, let's see...vehicle w/sole occupant sitting on the "wrong" side of the vehicle, a sign that says US Mail, a person wearing a USPS badge and a hand held out with letters aiming for the mail box.

Maybe it's the mail lady????

Or maybe it's just taking her a little time to process what's going on and she'll assume it's safe for her to continue walking her dog by GOING BEHIND THE MAIL BOX.

Silly me.

Instead she stops, is standing there (holding her leashed dog) staring as it jumps up on the side of the van with it's very large, untrimmed toe nails.

I can hear the screech of it's nails on the paint.

I know I've got "the look" on my face.

Our little lady looks puzzled. At no time does she reprimand the animal or attempt to get it off of my vehicle, or apologize. She can't seem to understand why I would be annoyed. "She's very friendly," she assures me.

Really? Who would have guessed?

I'd like to assure her that she can now pay for the damage to my vehicle her flippin' friendly animal caused.

She finally pulls the dog off of the van and continues her walk.

I wonder, uncharitably, if I can follow her home and put a huge scratch in her vehicle. She wouldn't have a problem with that, right?

You know - I actually like dogs.

But I'd rather their owner's would enjoy them on their own time and their own property.

Novel idea, eh?

No comments: