Monday, March 21, 2011

DOL

I've spent some quality time at the local Department of Licensing.

Oh, are you already saying "this can't be good...."

Indeed.

I could write one very long post about their antics, or several point specific posts and still have left over material. Still one major irritation I have is: that for a state that seems to hand out driver's licenses, willy nilly, to illegal aliens who then turn around and utilize that identification to obtain other benefits/rights usually reserved for citizens (natural born or legal ones) of a nation they sure get fussy with the rest of us and frankly I don't get it.

The Youngest got his driver's permit last summer. I had to bring a lot of paperwork/identification to get the permit. They verified it and typed it into their system.

We go back to sign up for his driving test to get his driver's license.

They require all the same information that we brought in six months ago to be re-presented. (You know, all the information that was already verified and entered into their system - yes, I'm repeating my self...so were they.) PLUS they also want his SS#. You know the number that is specifically not supposed to be required by law for the purpose of identification?????

And then we start on the fact that my identification lists me under my maiden name, which of course makes The Youngest's last name different than mine...

Well, what a stroke of luck!!! We have his birth certificate with us.

LOOK!

It states that this child was born to a woman who happens to have the same name as me. What a coincidence!

But they want to see a marriage license because they need to make sure that I'm the/a custodial parent.

Really?

A marriage license proves that?  What if, in these "enlightened" days, Farm Boy & I had never formally tied the knot?? Would that make The Youngest any less my child? (Remember I've got his certified birth certificate in my hands) OR if Farm Boy had accompanied The Youngest to the DOL, just because they had the same last name, does that mean he's the custodial parent? What if we were divorced? How about if he was actually his uncle?

But, because we've played this game before - I do indeed have the marriage certificate with me. I hand it over with a raised eyebrow.

When we're finished w/the boy, after almost 3 decades of wedded bliss I plunk down my money and (due to the increase of identity theft and heightened scrutiny of ID in general) request a formal name change on my license.

Make it so #1.

It is done.

While I'm at it I figure I should probably get the "enhanced" version so I can wander back & forth across the Canadian & Mexican borders if the mood strikes me.

Stop Engines.

The notarized marriage certificate that was good enough to get my name officially changed will not work. Apparently I need to go to the court house to get one that has "all the numbers" on it.

???

Seriously?

Oh yes, we're done here...

So I go to the court house. Pay more money for an EXACT COPY of the certificate I had handed the darling DOL employee.

Same #'s on certificate - just notarized by a different person.

Someone is just not too smart.

AND it's probably me - cause I still JUST DON'T GET IT!

Let's not talk about why illegal aliens don't have to show ID to get their voter registration because it's racial discrimination/profiling.

We don't want to go there today.
-

No comments: