Monday, April 5, 2010

Would You Like to Rephrase That?

I'm the "lead" in a group order collective. Folks figure out what they want, then they give me their list and money. I cash the checks, order for them, (using my credit card so hopefully they haven't given me a rubber check - but yeah it's happened,) sort the stuff when it arrives, and most of the time I'm nice enuf to deliver. The only benefit I receive from doing this is the same discount everyone else gets if we meet the minimum order requirements plus an occasional brownie point/pat on the back for organizing and dealing with the paperwork.  This last week a partial order came in. Rather than hold it and have all the boxes cluttering up my house I delivered what I had. The Youngest packed boxes to the doors for me and was instructed to tell folks that we would make the rounds again  when the rest of the order came in. At one particular house he handed the boxes over to the hubby, gave him my message and left.

This morning I find  two emails. The wife, of the above man, finally got around to opening her boxes today...proceeded to make a bee line to the computer and inform me that she was sure she'd been shorted and there was no way that that was $181 worth of product. Then went back and an hour later emailed again to let me know that indeed stuff was missing.

You think?

First, let's give a shout out to that reliable man for relaying a simple message. Yeah guy. Thanks - so much.

Second, let's have a little lesson on computer etiquette...if you're in a snit have questions, and need to communicate your concerns via email -  read it, reread it and then it's still probably a good idea to sit on it for a while before you hit send. The first one came across as if she were accusing me of misappropriating her money.

This good woman usually sets a store on appearances and tries very hard to be ladylike and gracious. I'm not saying she's not...but still that email could have used a little work.

You know, I spend a lot of time in small acts of service. Trying to do my bit to make the world...blah blah, blah blah. Of course I get irritated by people, which is one of the reasons why I started this blog - so I could bitch, get over it and get on with it. You know, my faults are legion, my virtues few, but I'm a  pretty straight shooter and to insinuate that I'm not...

I, of course, took my own advise. In replying to her email... I wrote it, reminding them, gently, that they had already been told it was a split order, (actually I think I just implied The Youngest may not have passed the message to give them an out, but he had, I'd checked as soon as he got back in the rig...) read it, reread it and then sent it.

I am sooo good.

Then I promptly vented here.
-

No comments: