Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Truth Will Set Us Free

I like to multi-task.

While doing laundry recently I was also picking up items that were laying around and was putting them away as I crisscrossed the house searching for socks and other clothing that The Youngest likes to stuff under chairs, sofa's etc. So while my hands were full I saw some scissors on the table. Picked them up and immediately tried to trip on a cat. (You may have noticed I have a  problem keeping my feet under me...)

Real smart, I told myself. I had a visual on what those scissors could have looked like sticking in my eye...

That lead to a random memory.

Guy named Mark Grey. I knew him, years and years ago...Once told me a story about chasing his brother who was running with scissors. Long story short? Had a whole tale about how the kid ended up in the hospital with the scissors in his eye. And that his brother now had a glass eye. I was appalled but astonished because, as I told him, "Why it looks so natural, you'd never know it was glass!"

Well, his brother's eye looked normal because it was. The whole scissors thing? Never happened. As a matter of fact, most of the stuff he talked about never happened. He was a pathological liar. Looking back I think the only facts he got right may have been his parents names & his address.

Why do people lie?

So many times as an adult I have watched something happen. Then had the child/teen/adult who did it turned right around and say, "Nuh huh, didn't happen." Or "didn't do it, wasn't me." Plus there is the classic, when the parent becomes involved and staunchly states, "Not my child!" While I stand all amazed going, "I sat right here and watched you/them do it!"

Incredible.

You know, if you're unable to tell the truth or can't 'find' the truth...you can't get to or deal with "the issue."

And I know some people are counting on that. A lot. Because they don't want to, nay, refuse to deal with, or acknowledge the issue. Apparently they think that if no one talks about the elephant in the room - it's just not there. But sometimes it's a little difficult to ignore the big pile of poo that the animal leaves in the middle of the floor.

I can forgive a liar. It's not my job to define what their reality is. And as much as it hurts, especially if it is someone you're supposed to care about...they are responsible for their own salvation and we ultimately have to leave them to their own repentance.

But respect them? Trust them, their judgement or anything they say? Want to be with them?

Ummm...

Not so much.
-

No comments: