Friday, December 3, 2010

C-CCC-CC-C-OLD.

Long story short?

Friend & I ran out the other night, in her rig, to do a service project. One of those quick in and outs. So I threw on my crocs & a fleece shirt and we went. Tip-toed thru the ice & snow then dashed back to the SUV.

She dropped me at home, I stepped out & just as I was closing the door she hesitantly asked a question.

Oh.

She needed to talk and it was one of those kind of things where you don't want to climb back in because you know she doesn't want to go into this big, long discussion and yet you don't want to impatiently wave the door back and forth and look like you're just dying to get gone....

Instead I just stood with the door open, leaning into the warmth of her rig for over an hour, with my backside hanging out, in the dark, in 25 degree weather, in my summer crocs - you know the ones with ALL the holes in them and no socks...

Oh yeah.

Don't get me wrong. I love this woman. Freezing my tail off is the least I could do for her. I don't regret that but I had to smile when she finally gave a start and realized how much time had passed, then put her rig into gear saying "I'm so sorry, it's sooo cold!"

"Not a problem," I said as I bid her good night and headed into the house.

And really it wasn't. My toes had quit hurting ... when they had gone numb ... about 20 minutes before. ;)
-

No comments: