Monday, October 12, 2009

I'll Just Be Over Here - In My Corner

Okay. Cruising the 'net. Waiting for the laundry to get done. Wow. People have issues.

Barack Oboma - Nobel Peace Prize. Ummm, what already? Hope is a wonderful thing, but ask my kids...I'm a little bit more goal orientated. Show me the money. Let me see that "A", then we'll talk about rewards. So, I'm thinking a little premature.  I didn't vote for him, and I know he doesn't want my pity, but I do think people need to give him a break...How anyone could stagger along with the weight of the great black hope on his back I don't know. He is a man. He could be a lovely shade of purple for all that matters and I'd still bet he puts his pants on one leg at a time. We'd be better off focusing on his politics and the integrity (or lack thereof) behind the politics rather than the rest of the minutiae that surrounds him.

But whether Obama, abortion, mommy blogs, Michael Jackson or even sci fi fan gatherings. Boy! You blog something, someone else finds it and doesn't agree and the gloves come off! All kinds of nasty cat fights out there. It's fine to disagree and obviously I tend to be a bit heavy handed with the sarcasm but do we have to be vulgar or crude about it??? And really if a pro lifer decides to comment on the blog of a woman's rights type (my life, my body etc.)....do you think there is anything one could say that would bridge the gap between the two? Abortion proponents say it's all about them, their body, their choice....I agree. Your life, your body, your choice until you create another person. Then they have a right to be heard too. Your choice came into play before you conceived....abstinence, birth control etc. My opinion but, just because I happen to be right, doesn't mean they agree. The only thing we're going to agree on is that we're going to disagree.


Today, in particular, I wandered across the blog of someone who had been to a sci fi conference and the more charitable comments about the attendees were that they were fat, lazy, white women and it got a lot worse from there. Even posted pictures on her site of people that were most...unflattering. Wow! The enraged sci fi folks are firing back. Both sides are pretty much out of control. Yikes! They're not content to verbally spar in cyberspace, they want a face to face, NOW!


And people wonder how the holocast happened....


Woof!


I never cease to be amazed by people. And I'm taking a moment to reassess the way I do things. Yes, I can improve. I need to be kinder. I need to have more charity. To find more opportunities to serve. In the same breath, I don't want to be a push over, or enable someone else's poor behavior. I'm a big fan of the saying about teaching people to fish so they can eat for a life time and do not want to be one of those guilty of encouraging a welfare state as they hand out fish to the needy on a daily basis. 


I've been accused of being too impatient, too abrupt....Undoubtly... Sometimes. But then again (and this is why I love my little brother)...one time I was talking about someone who had issues with me and thought I was too hard on people, he said:  "Oh I don't know. You've always been pretty good about firing a warning shot or two over the bow...."


Yes.


Yes I am. You know I was dragging my tail pretty low when Billy told me that. Appreciate him. Probably more than he'll ever know. We all can use a little support now and then.


But meanwhile, I'll just be over here - in my corner. Don't expect me to always keep my mouth shut tho. Like someone famous once said... "Don't worry if you can't do things right. You can always be used as a bad example." You screw up... I may mention it to my kids. Not to be unkind but, if they can learn some of life's hard lessons without having to go there themselves....I'm all over it.


So I'll keep blogging here in blissful anonymity. Talking to myself, keeping my head straight. The daughter was all curious and wanting to find this...hmmm, good luck with that. Not saying there is anything here she couldn't read but this is for me. Working on my issues - on a gentler, "kinder" level,  of course.
-

No comments: