Thursday, October 29, 2009

Beauty & the Beast

Sometimes life is all about focus. What we choose to deal with/focus on determines our attitude. That attitude helps determine our quality of life.

Yesterday I just about died when a snotty 20 something trucker decided his right to exceed the speed limit overrode any concerns for my safety. It's a considerably longer story but the end analysis is (and this is a true "hat's off to road rage" moment)... if I'd had a handgun in the glove compartment you might be reading about me in the newspaper today, but (thankfully) I didn't - so you won't.

However, shortly after that, while running an errand I stopped by a small hardware store that has operated in our area for years and years. I cruised in with minutes to spare before their closing time. Was greeted with a smile, a polite 17 year old salesman, and a watchful boss. I spent a pleasant five minutes as the young man guided me through the aisles, found my part for the flashlight, offered to remove the shattered bulb, cleaned everything up, replaced the bulb and packed up the spare for me. All the while being charmingly conversant, helpful and when I commented on some of their displays and mentioned that they'd be great stocking stuffers - with the ease of a born salesman he pointed out other items that I might be interested in as he walked me to the door. Granted, my young man was probably the owners son but for the $3.57 spent I got the full meal deal. I was impressed by him. I was a very happy customer. I'll be back for those stocking stuffers.

Two young men.  Both doing their "jobs." Night and day. I could focus on my desire to mangle the first one's stiff middle finger or let it go and let my heart swell with hope for tomorrow because of a 17 year old boy.

I choose the latter.
-

No comments: