Friday, October 2, 2009

Rich

Sitting and looking out the window. And you know, in the Disney movie Bambi where the rainstorm starts? It was Bambi, right? Anyway, one big, fat drop of water plops down on the earth, then another, until...

I watched the magnolia tree as the rain hit the leaves one at a time. They are big, thick leaves and the raindrop would land, push the leaf down and it would pop back up like a bungee jumper. Then the tempo of the rain on the roof increased and the leaves began to dance. And in that peculiar way that happens sometimes, rays of sunlight streamed through the tree...It was green and beautiful. Breathtaking really. But I didn't know whether, today, God was sprinkling the earth or crying.

You see, my friend Rich and his wife are getting divorced. When they were young, they had made a covenant to be together, forever. We do stuff like that when we're young. It is all sunshine, light and green leaves dancing in the rain. Then life happens.

Let me make my standard disclaimer. I know Rich isn't a perfect person, but ya gotta love the guy. Has a sense of humor and a way about him that can light up any room. And when he gets obnoxious you just kick him in the shin or point out that he's being a butt head, and while he's usually fairly unrepentant about it he generally stops. Pretty cut and dried. I can deal with his personality.

Kaye. Don't get me wrong. She is a nice person. A decent person. And (like so many of us) when you are doing what Kaye wants, she is a dynamic, happy, charming person. But uhh, when you're not doing what Kaye wants...Woof!! She is a force to be reckoned with.



So there they are. A life, a history, children... But the time has come, as in so many marriages that, they're done. They are through trying. Maybe can't even remember at the moment why they tried in the first place.

I want to pick up the phone and call him. Tell him...what? Is there anything I can add that various relatives, church leaders, and assorted other folks haven't already said. Could I even talk to him without crying, because crying always makes everything better worse, right?

I'm just left with this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. Ugghh. It won't go away. Not today, maybe not for a long time.

He'll be the one to leave. Kaye and the kids will stay. We'll be polite and supportive. Rich will come back occasionally, but probably not often. If we're lucky we'll catch a glimpse and then he'll be off again.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo....don't leave us.

I'm an idiot. Sitting here sobbing. Okay, really, I have abandonment issues.

Rich.

Just so you know... I miss you already.
-

No comments: