Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Careful - I Think They Speak The Language!

Have you ever tried to find "catnip"? You know, just the dried herb? They have basil, oregano, thyme, etc. But catnip? Fresh catnip?

Not so much.

Sure there are catnip toys but like all herbs that sit and grow old and lose their savor, the toys are interesting but just not that interesting to cats.

So I decided to grow my own this summer.

Again.

I've not had a lot of luck with catnip plants as our local cat people turn into the mafia when they see them.

Must. Rub. It. Out!

Farm Boy is perplexed as to why I don't just plant miles of catnip for his beloved little felines. I end up waving my arms and growing a bit red in the face as I try to explain that they just kill them. Eat them, chew them up, lie on them and rub their tiny new green leaves into non-existence.

Wait. New plan. If I can't keep the cats away from the catnip, I'll keep the catnip away from the cats!

So Farm Boy gets out the welder and expanded metal plate and makes a made to order, STURDY, cat resistant cage.

I buy one lonely plant, select a nice sunny spot for it, plop the cage on top of it and wait.

One hour later I look out the window. Monster is stretched out on her side, stealthily digging thru the bark, trying to get under the edge of the cage to get at the catnip. She finally gives up and lays there staring at it.

Score one for Momma Newy!

The summer wears on. Farm Boy has doubts about the cage. "You know, the minute the leaves poke thru the openings the cats chew them off. I don't think it's going to make it..."

But what he doesn't understand is that the catnip is part of the mint family. It has an invasive growth pattern and once the root system is established it spreads fairly rapidly. As long as the cats can't get at the central part of the plant it will have enough leaves and roots to sustain itself. The cats can "self harvest" anything that grows outside the box and it will be a win/win situation. The plant will survive and the cats will have their catnip.

Finally, a week ago. The catnip has enuf growth that there is actually some that I can harvest. I carefully pick the extra leaves and bring them in the house to dry.

I hadn't counted on the smell driving the cats crazy. I make the mistake of rubbing a few leaves on areas that I wanted the cats lay on. (Like - not on my chair so I have a place to sit instead of it always being occupied by a cat!)

Chub Chub & Ack Ack had been asleep in the other room. They both come out, their noses twitching as they sniff and try to locate the source of the smell. They travel unerringly to the cat bed. Jump up, sniff, start eating the catnip and then, when it's gone, start pulling on the fabric with their teeth.

NO!!!

Do not eat the cat bed!

Jeez!

Note to self. Fresh catnip causes cats to o.d.

So I dry the rest of it.

This morning I'm bagging the dried pieces. I set a plate, with little pieces remaining, on the floor. Chub Chub sniffs and starts to lick the plate. Monster comes over, sniffs, shoves Chub Chub out of the way and lays down and begins to roll all over it.

"Monster!" I say, "Get out of there! It is uncouth to wallow in the plate!"

She stops and glares at me. There is a certain gleam in her eye. Then sits up abruptly, gives her coat a few quick licks, stalks away and sits with her back to me, ignoring me.

Hmmm....

Sprecken sie Deutsch?
-

No comments: