Saturday, May 8, 2010

News Flash

Approximately 1/2 of the population of the world is female. Of those, the majority at one time or another will be mothers.

A day has been set aside to "honor" women for their love, caring and diligence. In true American fashion we have hurried to turn it into a sucessful commercial venture. I was somewhat amused to view the advertisements for flowers, candy and any other number of foofraws designed to delight mother and convey how much she means to you. All the models in the ads were young 30 somethings. They were slim and athletic, with beautiful, bright, smiling faces, and well coiffed hair. Pink & pretty in their stylish pastel outfits.

It was kinda like looking at the manly Marlboro Man commercials. The reality of his cancer ridden corpse was not something the cigarette companies wanted us to focus on.

So my perverted sense of humor is stirred by the contrast between the perceived "model moms" and the real woman who has gained some weight with each pregnancy. Who is dressed in holey yoga pants so the children can have a stylin' wardrobe to show off at school. Whose hair needs to be cut (and probably dyed) but which isn't happening because that money went to another kid related effort, and whose face shows a little wear and tear after years of taking care of and serving her family.

Laughing at the newspaper in my hands I looked at The Youngest and commented, "Poor kid, stuck with me as a mother."

Silly me, I think I was fishing for something along the lines of... 'don't worry mom, I love you just the way you are...'

So I know this came at him as a really random comment. Especially as he wasn't looking at the ads and didn't know what I was thinking. But still, that 15 year old brain, has a really humbling, rapid fire delivery system.

His reply?

"Well, it's not like you're some horrible monster or something."

I'm sure my eyes gogged. I know my jaw dropped.

We had another one of those moments of...dead silence.


And I'm left to ponder the truth that sometimes we are defined not so much by what we are...

as by what we are not.
-

No comments: