Sunday, May 30, 2010

Tending the Garden

Rich, speaking of a childhood friend who had passed away, told of a day they had spent fishing together. Went thru the whole ritual, guy bonding thing and finished with saying he realized that that was the unspoken way his buddy had of telling him, "I love you man!"

Most of us have bittersweet moments we cherish. Life is not always what we expect. I have a dear friend who attacks her garden with vigor when she is distressed. She welds a mean hoe and I have retreated on more than one occasion when I have seen a certain gleam in her eye as she takes a mighty whack at an offending weed.

Usually seems...safer that way.

A couple of days ago, tho, I came upon her again in her garden. Looked like she'd been there most of the day and I thought she might be able to use the company. So we spent some time together. I raked. She hoed. We talked. But the most innocuous comments/stories caused pain. We pretended I didn't notice. . .  Some hurts overflow into almost every aspect of life and there isn't a lot we can do about that.

But still, there we were and all I had to offer was myself, however flawed. It wasn't nearly enough. The only thing I knew for sure was - those weeds didn't stand a chance.

I wasn't able to fix much - but the yard...it looked good.
-

No comments: