Monday, July 12, 2010

Is It Time To Hyperventilate Yet?

The news reports were slowly coming in...Bombings. Kampala, Uganda. 9, 26, 64 no 74 dead. Somali insurgents. Soccer match. 1 American dead, 3  6 injured.

What?

WHAT?

Paige, where are you???? Answer me now!!!!!

Then a "text" rolls in late last nite. It's her Monday morning. "Hi, just wanted to let you know that I am still alive. I think that we will just stay in for the day until some of this gets cleared up."

Nice touch, eh?  She has an international phone in her hands and instead of talking to me, because of course I'm going to throw out the option of hopping a plane and getting the heck outa Dodge, she texts.

You know, I am NOT a silly woman. Hard headed, persistent, focused, yes. Prone to fainting spells, useless dithering, feminine indecisiveness - no. Willing to explore options, of course.

And if that kid, texts me one more time, instead of talking to me, when foreigner's are being targeted in Uganda by a bunch of wild eyed, crazed Islamic Fundamentalists...

They cane children in Uganda. It may be a tradition that should be taken up by Americans. Like say, starting immediately.
-

No comments: