Friday, July 9, 2010

Sweet Fifteen and 1/2

The Youngest is 15 1/2 years old. And like all parents we are faced with having "our baby" grow up and we're torn. On the one hand it's "Yeah!" And on the other...

So, we made the trek to the driving school today then headed for the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. Procured the elusive driver's permit and as we left the building I tossed him the keys for his first "legal" drive in town. Now having worked with many trainees during my time w/ the Transit I'm full of phrases like, "When it is safe to do so, signal and move into the left lane." My instructions are fairly clear and given with enough forewarning that less experienced drivers are usually not doing hail Mary's. Farm Boy, on the other hand, has a tendency to get a little excited sometimes or not pay attention which leads to some yelling and close calls. I prefer not to be in the vehicle when he's the navigator.

Back to the new driving permit. I'm looking at The Youngest, noting his technique, his strengths and weaknesses. And he's grinning while doing jack rabbit starts and stops and just generally giving me a somewhat rough ride. He thinks he's pretty cool and even if it's a van he's still happy with his toy...I try to quietly discuss improvements he needs to make but I know I'm rolling my eyes as he jerks, instead of glides, around a corner.

He catches that.

"Oh, don't get all bent out of shape," he says.

He just doesn't get it...

I kinda shake my head when we finally get home. Farm Boy says, "Yeah, I know. I didn't worry about turning the other two loose when they were sixteen. This one...."

Y'all might want to consider staying off the roads for the next couple of months. This one is gonna take some work.
-

No comments: