Wednesday, July 7, 2010

New USPS Exercise Program

Summer has finally arrived. It's taken its time coming this year. But we're in the high 90's, heading for 100+. So on this bright, sunny day I'm working and as I drive along I see a cute little miniature pony running down the road, followed by a tottering octogenarian.

He doesn't have a chance. I pull ahead of the horse, park my van and turn the pony back toward his house. She's feeling a mite frisky. We have her between us, trying to drive her back toward her pasture.

She just isn't interested.

"Have any oats?" I ask.

"Eh, what? Can't hear you."

"Grain. Got any grain?"

He looks confused.

"Nope, don't have...his voice trails off."

I look at my watch...I'm supposed to be delivering mail. Also let's not forget that heat factor.

He stumbles after her. I'm aware that he has been feeling poorly. I notice that it is getting much harder for him to walk. He is anxious and trying too hard, he actually kind of shambles/runs at her which is scaring her. He gets close and...she's off!

Several cars go by. One man encouragingly yells, "Keep after 'em, you'll get 'em!"

Maybe...

If we had a little help.

Or some grain...

Finally, red in the face and panting, our little gentleman looks at me and says, "Watch her, I'm going to get some grain."

Ahhh - good idea.

I block her way so she doesn't head for the hills. Five minutes, ten? he re-emerges with a bucket. Shakes it at her. Her ears prick up, and true to her pony nature she walks right up to him.

We're done here and I really have to get back to work.

"Thanks." he says. "Thanks, for stopping. You're the only one who did, you know."

I smile & wave and head for my rig.

And the boss wonders sometimes, what it is I do out here all day...
-

No comments: