Friday, September 24, 2010

EEEK!

Growing up in and around the agricultural community one takes a certain amount of pride in being able to 'cowboy up.' Lots of things to do in the country that don't allow for you to spend time being all squeamish.

While I've never been adverse to trying to find someone else to reach into the birth canal of a laboring animal to try to turn and pull lambs, kids, piglets, calves and colts... it's a fact that if you have the smallest hands you're liable to be the one elected to give it a go.

Other things strike me as being quite humorous. I remember the time that we stopped in Washtucna for a bathroom break on our way to a state FFA convention in Pullman. The girls line wasn't moving. I went to the front of the line to inquire about the hold up. Seems there was a spider on the door frame and the young ladies could not be persuaded to walk past it.

???

I looked at the lead protester, turn around, whomped the spider with my open hand, wiped it off on the wall, smiled sweetly and then announced that as I had taken care of the problem that now made me first in line, thank you. I walked in and shut the door on her horrified face.

Last week as we threw off another load of hay, I noticed about 9 inches of bull snake hanging out the side of a bale of hay.

That got my attention.

Ya just know the two jokers who loaded the truck saw it...

But, although relatively fresh, he was good and dead, so we tossed the dangly parts and I'm sure we'll find the rest of him...later.

Squirmy, crawly things are a part of my life. I try not to get too excited about them. A little advance notice is always appreciated tho.

This morning I walked across the darkened TV room to open the curtains. My bare toes unexpectedly curled delicately around something small, soft and furry.

And I shrieked.

It was the cat's fake mouse toy.

Exhale.

Fortunately the men of the house were showering and getting ready for the day. They did not hear me.

The only thing a cool, courageous, embarrassed, type can do?

Walk away.

Just quickly, walk away.
-

No comments: