Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Nightmare

It's never a good way to start the day when you wake up screaming, NOOOOOOO....

Farwa.

My beautiful boy. Sweet little Arab gelding we had for years. Stories - good stories, too many to repeat here. But just a dandy little horse. He died when #1 Daughter was in high school. Yes, he was 26 years old, but no it wasn't time.

I will forever have a picture of him running, tail flagging in the air, dancing around water holes, eating ice cream. He was a pet. He taught my daughter how to ride, he took care of her. He had more try in that little 14H body than most horses twice his size had.

So the dream...and yes, it was in color. :(

I was driving a pickup, pulling a horse trailer. One of those things where you keep driving and driving and... 

Made a wrong turn and ended up bottoming out over a ditch. Didn't seem to hurt anything, kept going and finally stopped at a cafe. Went inside, then looked out the window and the pickup and trailer were engulfed in fire. Apparently when I'd hit the ditch I'd damaged the underside. I ran outside to try to put it out but was overwhelmed by the flames. Up to this point I didn't know who/what, if anything was in the trailer. I managed to look inside and there was Farwa.

 I couldn't get the door open.

And I got to stand there and watch him die all over again.

I have no idea what Freud would say about all that. Yes, it was only a "dream."  But it was enough pain to last...for a while.
-

No comments: